Dealing with burnout exists beyond the 9-5, thought we mostly hear it talked about in relation to being an employee for a company. In most studies, the number one factor identified as the cause of burnout is a boss. Many entrepreneurs leave the corporate burnout culture in order to have the freedom and fulfillment of being their own boss. However, the patterns of burnout aren’t unique to corporate, they are embedded in American culture and without deprogramming those patterns, we become that boss for ourselves. Hustle culture in entrepreneurship is just another form of burnout culture in corporate. Not to mention, wherever you go, there you are… so these patterns show up in other areas too… like parenting. I believe you deserve better. You deserve to love your job and to have an amazing boss.
In this episode of Unlimited, I’m exploring how to prevent burnout and be the best boss of your own life.
Some of what I’ll cover in this episode include:
- When “lazy” isn’t the issue
- The point of worrying
- What is burnout and causes of it
- Setting clear and reasonable expectations for yourself
- The drain of feeling out of control
- How to shift burnout dynamics
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this episode, take a screenshot of the episode to post in your stories and tag me! @unlimitedcoachval
I love to hear your thoughts and I’m always happy to answer any questions.
You can shoot me an email at email@example.com or DM me on Instagram
AND don’t forget to subscribe, rate and review the podcast!
JOURNALING QUESTIONS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- What are the characteristics of your ideal boss? How do they support you? What are reviews like? How often do they happen?
- What is your ideal work environment? What is in your work space? What are the communication/interactional dynamics? When and where are you most focused with each activity?
- What are your strengths? What responsibilities maximize them? What responsibilities drain your energy? What of those could you delegate?
- When do you rest? What do you do to re-charge & re-focus? What do you do to support your “company culture?”
LINKS FROM THIS EPISODE:
2018 Gallup Report on Employee Burnout
2019 World Health Organization Report on Burnout
Article Psychology Today Burnout
Article Mayo Clinic Job Burnout
Episode #3 Understanding Your Stress Language
Episode #5 The Value of Rest
Episode #22 Creating Your Ideal Day
Episode #30 Learning and Living Outside the Box
Create Your Flow Course
CONNECT WITH VALERIE:
Get email updates!
Work with Valerie!